Product Review: Primal Elixirs Superfoods For Pets
SUPERFOODS FOR PETS
If you sat through the video, good! But that is glossy marketing. We know what you really want to know is how we rate these new superfoods for pets. We have tried all three with both our dogs and cats and wanted to share our findings and observations. We will first provide a detailed overview of what superfoods for pets is all about. Next, we will describe each product and provide ingredients and reported benefits. Finally, we will give you our in-depth and unbiased review of this new product line.
What Is It?
Superfoods for pets are edibles that deliver the maximum amount of nutrients with minimum amount of calories. They have a high content of vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and/or omega-3 fatty acids. The products called Primal Elixirs, comes in a square resealable tub and are frozen solid and must be thawed prior to serving to your pet. These pureed superfoods are suitable for both dogs and cats and can be added to any pet food meal or served alone. Each is available in an 16 ounce or 32 ounce container.
The Three Primal Elixirs and Suggested Benefits
Omega Mussels Melange Joint Health Ingredients
Steamed Mussel Meat, Pork Bone Broth (Filtered Water, Pork Bones, Organic Carrots, Organic Butternut Squash, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Celery, Organic Bok Choy, Organic Cilantro, Organic Parsley, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric), Organic Chia Seeds, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Parsley, Organic Cilantro, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric.
Calories = 28 per ounce
Suggested Benefit: Joint Health
Healthy Green Smoothie Immune Boost Ingredients
Organic Kale, Pork Bone Broth (Filtered Water, Pork Bones, Organic Carrots, Organic Butternut Squash, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Celery, Organic Bok Choy, Organic Cilantro, Organic Parsley, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric), Organic Celery, Organic Chia Seeds, Sardine Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Parsley, Organic Cilantro, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric, Organic Mushrooms (Dried Shiitake, Dried Reishi, Dried Maitake, Dried Turkey Tail, Dried Lion’s Mane, Dried King Trumpet, Antrodia camphorat), Dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Calories = 12 per ounce
Suggested Benefit: Immune Boost
Winter Squash Puree Digestive Support Ingredients
Organic Butternut Squash, Pork Bone Broth (Filtered Water, Pork Bones, Organic Carrots, Organic Butternut Squash, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Celery, Organic Bok Choy, Organic Cilantro, Organic Parsley, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric), Organic Chia Seeds, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Cilantro, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Ginger, Organic Turmeric, Organic Cinnamon, Dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Calories = 12 per ounce
Suggested Benefit: Digestive Support
We have tried all three types of the Primal Edible Elixirs. The observations detailed below are based upon our own experience as well as customer feedback. As with any holistic solution, the benefits come over a period of time. The commentary is based upon approximately two weeks of use.
- The Green Smoothie Elixir is quite effective for pets that chronically eat grass but do not throw-up. Also, the most popular with cats. Given the immune boosting quality of this formulation, it is great for any pet in a weakened state due to surgery, disease, stress or any other factor. The organic power greens, like kale and parsley, provide antioxidants. Organic chia seeds, coconut oil, and sardine oil provide a blend of omega fatty acids and medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) A blend of seven organic medicinal mushrooms boosts the immune system. Kale is rich in iron and calcium and a fantastic source of vitamins A,C, E and K. Kale also offers a large amount of antioxidants which help cleanse your pet’s digestive system and shield his/her body from potential damage caused by free radicals. In human language, this means kale possesses many vitamins your body can’t make on its own and also boasts anti-inflammatory properties. The concentration of antioxidants also helps the liver detoxify the body and helps support cardiovascular health.
- Pork bone broth and organic apple cider vinegar are present in all three formulations. Bone broth is a highly absorbable packed with protein, calcium and fiber and can help manage gastrointestinal issues. Organic apple cider vinegar has antibacterial properties and pH balancing acidity. It is soothing, relaxing and effective against infections and even bad breath!
- The first noticeable change we say was in the bowel movements. The stools were more formed, smaller and more moist without being soft. The superfoods help the body absorb more of the nutrients and antioxidants resulting in less waste. Does not cause stool discoloration!
- There was no need to reduce normal feeding portions because all three varieties are low calorie. Each contain a high percentage of moisture, which is always important but particularly in the summer months and in hotter climates. There was no report of additional urination. Due to the superfood quality of these products, any of the formulations are a better choice for hydrating freeze dried food as compared to straight water. Further, any one can be used as a topper to raw, canned or dry food and can also be used in combinations and simultaneously.
- Senior pets appeared more peppy on the Mussels Melange. For those sensitive to strong fish odor, there is none present in this product. Mussels and chia seeds help build the connective tissue between joints and are a natural way to add glucosamine and chondroitin to your pets diet. Organic turmeric and organic raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar further support a healthy skeletal system. Present in all formulations, cur-cumin is the active compound found in tumeric which has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. The nutritional benefits of chia seeds include fiber, omega 3 fatty acids, calcium, antioxidants and even protein. Chia seeds are highly absorbent, therefore they can help hydrate the body. Chia has been known to help alleviate arthritis pain. To receive the full joint support benefits, it must be used as a daily supplement, not served periodically.
- The thawing time is long. 24-48 hours in the refrigerator or about 8 hours on the counter. Place the tub in a cool bath of water in the kitchen sink to get it to thaw more quickly. For more tips on thawing frozen pet food, click here . The official recommendation from Primal is “Best to use within 7 days of thawing”. We found the product was still fine after two weeks. The serving size suggestion is a bit vague “A dollop or two”. This is really relative to the size of the pet. A tablespoon for around 10 pounds, up to a half a cup for a large breed. Once the tub is opened and stored in the refrigerator, there may be moisture separation. A good stir will ensure you are getting the complete product served to your pet.
- The Winter Squash Elixir is very aromatic, reminiscent of pumpkin pie. It is the runniest of all three and also provides the most moisture. It can be effective for weight management as all the fiber and moisture will make your pet feel full. It is a good solution to keep on hand for incidents of digestive upset. Organic butternut squash provides prebiotic fiber to nourish the gut and feed your pet’s micro biome. Raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar provides enzymes, acid balance and probiotics which support a healthy gastrointestinal tract. Ginger is an anti-inflammatory superfood that helps aid in digestion and can help fight cancer.
- Added to all three superfoods, organic extra virgin olive oil and/or organic coconut oil contains good fatty acids. There are good and bad fats, the quality of fat is important. Healthy fats, scientifically called medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) make up 60 % of coconut oil. Ninety percent of the fat in coconut oil is healthy saturated fat. Your pet’s liver can break these molecules down very easily. Healthy saturated fat is used as fuel rather than stored as body fat. Coconut oil has a number of benefits including improved skin and coat, better digestion, increased energy and infection prevention.
We are impressed with the quality, benefits and ease of use of Primal’s Elixir superfoods for pets and will be recommending them to our customers, as appropriate, on a case by case basis. Providing an in-depth review and description of this new product lineup is a service we happily provide to our customers. We hope you found it to be informative and helpful. Remember, it does not matter what kind of food you are currently feeding whether it be raw, dry kibble, freeze dried or canned, this is an excellent way to add superfoods to your pet’s diet and give them the associated benefits that we outlined in this post.
Below you will see “real-life” pictures of what each superfoods looks like on different kinds of food. Our dogs were extra excited to be taste testers for this post!
Stop in to get some superfoods for your pets to boost and enhance their diet. We have over 30 years combined pet nutrition experience and are here to help you and your pet. We truly appreciate you supporting a local business, our community and local jobs.
Superfoods for pets: Omega Mussels Melange as a topper on raw food.
Superfoods for pets: Healthy Green Smoothie as a topper on freeze dried food.
Superfoods For Pets: Winter Squash Puree as a topper on dry food.
Goodness for Pets is an all-natural pet supply store and boutique catering to animals and those who love them. Since 2004, we have been providing unparalleled service to our community in Naples, FL. Our goal is to be a valuable and dependable resource for our customers, offering products and services that are distinguished by quality, safety, excellence, and creativity. We specialize in holistic solutions with an emphasis on nutrition while acknowledging that each pet and pet owner has unique needs and requirements.